Sunday 7 September 2014

How to Get Trim Over 60

Losing Weight and Getting Slim When You are Over 60 Years Old

grapefruit and tape measure
Grapefruit and Tape Measure by annmackiemiller
Keeping trim isn't easy at any age but when you hit the 60 button it is extra hard. You aren't as able to keep up strenuous exercise and in general you are probably less active and probably tend to be a bit slack when it come to eating healthily.

Add to that the curve ball nature hands you with increased fat around the waist and you may struggle. OK, there is good reason for that middle in women - when you go through menopause your ovaries stop producing oestrogen and nature compensates with oestrogen retaining fat layers round your middle. 

Personally I was given a wake-up call a few weeks ago. Blood results showed I had raised cholesterol and impaired glucose tolerance and my weight hit an all-time high. I know I have neglected my health in the last couple of years partly due to the fact that I work from home, sitting at a computer for eight or ten hours a day. 

For the past six weeks I have been turning things around. I have gone back to much healthier eating and added some exercise to my daily routine. In my searches for advice I found lots of stuff about cardio exercise, usually demonstrated by slender young women, which are really beyond my ability or desire. I have never been particularly fond of aerobics and now - well I just can't be bothered with all the sweating and grunting. So I am adapting things I find helpful into something more manageable and more enjoyable for a woman of my age. 

 So far I have lost 1 stone and 4 inches each off chest, waist and hips. 

I thought it would be useful for me and for you out there if I share my experiences. What you will find here and in my other blogs is common sense advice, suggestions for making healthy changes to your diet and lifestyle and some exercises to help tone your body. 

The one thing I have to emphasize is that you should only follow the suggestions if your health permits and if in doubt ask your GP or Doctor. Never push yourself past the most comfortable point even if that means only moving very slightly - it will increase over time. Always move slowly so you can feel that comfort point, jerking may result in injury. 

So - let's get started ... 


No comments:

Post a Comment